At Gilchrist Dental Care, we have a fun incentive to reward kids with great teeth. Children under the age of 10 who visit Gilchrist Dental Care for a check-up and don’t have cavities get to join the No Cavity Club!
We love being able to recognize children who are taking good care of their teeth, and have been doing so since the beginning of the practice. If a child has no cavities at the end of their checkup, their photo taken and added to our No Cavity Club bulletin board. Plus, they get entered into a quarterly drawing to win an oversized stuffed animal like the one below!
Staying cavity-free is tough, especially for kids. We value and congratulate our young patients for taking care of their dental hygiene. If you’re looking for tips to prevent kids’ cavities and help them earn their spot in the No Cavities Club, follow these tips:
- Brush your children’s teeth twice a day and help them floss daily. Children may not be ready to brush their own teeth effectively until they’re well into grade school, and will likely need reminders and timers to help them brush for the recommended 2 minutes. Make sure to use fluoride toothpaste.
- Limit sweets in your kids’ diets. Give them healthy snacks with protein, calcium, and other nutrients to keep teeth strong.
- Don’t “clean” your child’s pacifier by putting it in your own mouth. Any cavity-causing bacteria from your mouth will transfer to theirs.
- Wipe babies’ gums with a warm washcloth before bed, and once those first teeth arrive, use a soft, toddler toothbrush to gently brush their teeth (or tooth, as the case may be).
- Don’t give babies and toddlers juice, tea, soda, or sweetened drinks in a bottle, and limit consumption of these beverages. Particularly at bedtime, juice or milk in a bottle could mean that those liquids sit on their teeth and cause issues.
- Be sure to schedule semi-annual dentist visits beginning before age 3. Not only does it help small children get accustomed to the dentist’s office, it is essential for kids’ ongoing oral health as they grow.
This adorable teddy is our next prize for our No Cavity Club drawing winner. Encourage your kids to keep their teeth cavity-free and try their luck at bringing home a new friend! To make an appointment for your child’s semi-annual check-up and cleaning, call us at (715) 344-5280. We hope to see your children’s smiling faces on our No Cavity Club bulletin board at their next check up!